Watkins Glen: Trail Report

ferns cling to walls at watkins glen waterfall
Watkins Glen:  classic view of falling water, bridge and pools
Watkins Glen is both a town in the Finger Lakes region of New York as well as a state park.  Among photographers it is most famous for the view pictured above:  the bridge, stone stairs clinging to a cliff while water is falling all around is surreal.  To me it felt like I had entered Rivendell from Lord of the Rings.  During my trip to New York, I went to this location twice.  I went in the afternoon with my family.  During that trip, several hikers were always to be seen in front of and behind us.  I wouldn't call it crowded but it was not empty.

That same day, early in the morning I came here alone at the time of sunrise and saw two people total during my entire hike from the top of the gorge to the bottom and then back up.  I really had the whole place to myself and was delighted to discover waterfall after waterfall all the while walking on a perfectly maintained stone path that was created to blend in with the natural surroundings.
Hiking up the trail at WAtkins Glen
Approach to Cavern Cascade from the bottom of the gorge
water falling to a deep pool below.
Looking down a waterfall
stone steps in slot Canyon New York
Enchanted Trail:  Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen waterfall with green pool, beautiful landscape photography
Elven Fishing Hole:  my favorite shot from
Watkins Glen
Gordon's hike rating:
Hike Difficulty:                   ★★★ Moderate
Trail Condition:                   ★★★ Fair
Trail Hazards:                      ★★★ Moderate:  stone path, irregular surface, steep stairs
Trailhead:                             State Park parking lot on the North side of the Gorge, off the 409
Time Required:                    2 - 3 hours
Distance round trip:             2 miles but a shuttle can make this a 1-mile trip instead
Off the Beaten Path:             ★ No, 1 Stars
Scenery:                                ★★★★ Awesome, 4 Stars
Photographic Potential:        ★★★★ Sweet, 4 Stars

Comments