TOP TEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THE 5D Mark IV:

Gordon Smith shooting a wedding
Using the 5D Mark IV is a breeze.
I got a new Canon 5D Mark 4 (5D Mark IV) 6 months ago.  I’ve put my Canon 1Ds Mark III into semi-retirement.  I thought it might be worthwhile to compare the two exceptional cameras.  If it’s possible to love a piece of magnesium alloy housing mirrors and computer chips, then I loved my 1Ds Mark III.  I still do. 

After shooting for half a year, I discovered my new 5D Mark IV can do everything my 1Ds Mark 3 did and more.  What can it do better than the 1Ds Mark III?  Here’s my much-anticipated list of my favorites:

TOP TEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THE 5D Mark IV:

10.  Touchscreen can be used for menus, zooming, shutter, focus and much more.
9.  Optional battery grip:  you can go "big camera" or "small camera" as you prefer.
8.  Fast frames per second with a larger buffer for those large files.
7.  Multiple Speedlite control remotely from the touchscreen!
6.  Self timer option allows multiple exposures.  You set the frames and interval to whatever you want.
Photographer Gordon Smith in the United Kingdom

5.  HD and 4K movies.  Heck, any movies are better than no movie mode at all that I previously had.
4.  ISO that lets me shoot in the dark.  Previously my ISO limits were 1600.  Now it’s nearly infinite with choices of 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600 and even more.  This is a big plus and the image quality at these higher ISO is vastly improved!
3.  auto ISO choice makes quality shots quick and easy.  That was very handy at a recent wedding shoot.
2.  Built-in level within the viewfinder.  Never shoot a slanted horizon again!
1.  GPS tagging photos automatically.  As a landscape photographer, I love this feature!

photographer Gordon Smith

Comments