La Verkin Creek, Zion National Park

Zion stream and pool with small waterfall and tree
La Verkin Pool, Waterfall and Trees underneath towering cliffs.
The quest for my favorite thing in the world continues in this entry:  finding desert waterfalls.  From the high elevation of Zion National Park Kolob Section, I started hiking down the trail.  This trail goes down for 4 miles without stopping.  It makes it fairly easy to get down to the valley but the grueling hike back up is another story.

I was able to enjoy hiking and swimming in the beautiful La Verkin Creek.  As I enjoyed this, I kept looking for good photo opportunities within the light would allow.  I took several pictures which you can see on my website of this great location.  My favorite pictures were taken just at sunset.  As the light was fading in the sky, some beautiful clouds and soft light on the rocks made for a beautiful scene.  I took several photographs and felt like magic was captured.  

Utah desert waterfall and pool
Gregory Peak and La Verkin Pool
Unfortunately I was not going to camp overnight in a was forced to hike back out in the dark.  Armed with a headlamp, I made it but I would not recommend it as a fun experience.

Gordon's hike rating:
Hike Difficulty:                   ★★★ Moderate
Trail Condition:                   ★★★★ Great
Trail Hazards:                      ★★ Mild:  Hip-deep water, steep slopes, bushes, boulders
Trailhead:                              Lee Pass
Time Required:                     All day hike
Distance round trip:              8 miles
Off the Beaten Path:             ★★★★ Yes, 4 Stars
Scenery:                                ★★★ Great, 3 Stars
Photographic Potential:        ★★★ Great, 3 Stars

Comments