Hawaiian Silhouettes

waikoloa sunset palm trees and silhouettes
A-Bay Sunset with Palms Trees, an Orange Sky and the Pacific Ocean
Highly contrasting situations landed themselves to photography of silhouettes.  On my recent trip to the Big Island I found myself gazing at a wonderful sense over "A-bay" in Waikaloa.  The palm trees clustered together in a way that allowed the sunshine to come between a couple of them.  Moving slightly to one side I was able to get the composition I desired.

The next artistic decision related to exposure.  If I decided to try to expose properly for the trees, the sunshine and the sky would be "blown out" white.  That would lose the beautiful colors of red and orange.  Instead I exposed for the sky and allowed the palm trees to simply go to black.

In another situation on the other side of the island, I did the same thing at sunrise.
Branches silhouette with orange sunrise big island hawaii
Pololu Silhouette at Sunrise

Comments