Portal Arch: tallest arch in Valley of Fire

Portal Arch  -- The biggest in Valley of Fire

Another post from photogenic Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada.

 I hope nobody is tired of this beautiful location.  There are still some wonderful spots that I have not written about or posted pictures from.

In planning my trip to Valley of Fire, I wanted to find Portal Arch. I'd seen some other photos of it and tried to figure out where it was and when to visit. Sometimes information is lacking. . . . A wonderful resource that I discovered was from Steffen Synnatschke.  He has created a PDF specifically about Valley of Fire and good photographic locations.  It is available for a very small cost and I found it extremely worthwhile.  I would highly recommend it.

He documents portal arch in his writing.  It sounded very intriguing to me.  I studied several pictures of it.  I was trying to discover whether it would be best at sunrise or sunset.  Taking a picture of an arch in the middle of the day is usually unsatisfying. Taking a guess that this site would be best in the morning light, I hiked in before dawn. Luck was with me this morning!

Not only did I find the arch in the morning, but I was blessed with something that typically happens only in dreams: beautiful clouds across the sky.  I took several pictures of this beautiful arch and the window across the desert that it created.  This particular location was a bit squeezed and tight because there was a rock at my back.  I took pictures with a 17 mm tilt shift lens and also my 16mm zoom lens to cope with the confined space.  

Please enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tallest Grass

Notom Sunrise, Capitol Reef

Lower Hanawi Falls: Not in the Guidebooks