Full Moon Setting in Grand Canyon: Single Shot

Moon Reflecting Water at Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon, Arizona
Full Moon Setting as seen from Phantom Ranch
Beautiful moment of the full moon setting between peaks and reflecting off the surface of the Colorado River.  This moment happened half-way through the trip.  I'd photographed continually but I was not expecting to do any night photography. 

But when something this beautiful happens, the photographer deep within jumps within me and I must answer. 

Picture this:  early morning, quiet, slightly cool with the river sounds bouncing off the canyon walls.  I wake up to this but it's still dark, except it's not that dark because we have a full moon.  I see it.  I put on my glasses and I see it better.  The moon is setting, it's beautiful and it'll be over in a flash. 

I spring to action:  open pelican box, grab camera, grab remote cable release, grab tripod and begin running to the edge of the river to capture the reflected water.  The moon moves quickly and I got this one and only shot before it was down, gone and done. 

I thought I'd been too late.  I'd wanted multiple exposures for highlight and shadows.  I got none of that.  Luckily for me the Canon 5d Mark IV has wonderful dynamic range and I was able to lift enough darkness off these shadows to give you the photo you see above.