Columbine Spring: Leeds Creek Source

 

Columbine Spring, the source of Leeds Creek
Columbine Spring is the source of a clear Leeds Creek. 
Water just emerges from under these rocks!

The origin of Leeds Creek is Columbine Spring.  Columbine Spring emerges from the ground in the foothills of Pine Valley Mountain, the largest mountain in the St. George region.  From the spring, Leeds Creek rambles down the mountain to eventually drop into Harrisburg Creek and then Quail Creek Reservoir.  Leeds provides more water for the reservoir than any other source.  

Recently on a training hike I saw "Columbine Spring" listed on a map near Oak Grove campground.  Knowing this is a beautiful region, I wanted to find this spring myself.  After hiking to Oak Grove, I set off in the direction of Columbine Spring.  Be warned that travel to this water is not easy.  Shoulder-height bushes prevent easy movement and travel is slow for the whole 1-2 miles.  It feels like torture.  

Having committed myself to go, and getting halfway there, I felt obligated to continue.  GPS showed me the way.  To my delight, the coordinates were correct and I found the spring!  It is BEAUTIFUL!  Water comes up out of the ground, under a few rocks really, and there is suddenly this clear-water creek.  Enjoy my photos because I do not recommend going yourself.  

Spring waters run clear at the source of Leeds Creek, Utah
Clear spring waters running at the source of Leeds Creek, Utah:
Columbine Spring

The journey left me with more scratches on my arms than any other bushwhacking trip.  My pants also were ripped by all the branches I had to push through.  So, you are warned if you want to see it yourself.  

Comments