Tiny Flowers in the Peaks District

Flower Field in the Peaks District:  Stone walls, sheep and lovely skies add to the scenery.
What do you do when something very small catches your eye?  How do you photograph minuscule objects while simultaneously including the greater landscape?  These challenges generally call for at least 2 things, usually 3:
1.  A wide-angle lens which can include so much in every directions.
2.  Very close proximity to the tiny object.
3.  Narrow aperture is third, which is necessary to show everything sharply in focus.  An open aperture could focus on the small object while blurring the background.

This lovely small yellow-orange flowers in the Peak District challenged me greatly.  So small at only a centimeter each, I doubted my ability to really show them off.  Setting my tripod at its' lowest height, nestling into the grass, getting down, crawling around, moving a few longer wet grass shoot away from the lens is how I hoped to succeed.  I shot many exposures to account for wind movement in the grass and for my bent-over yoga-like pose needed to see through my viewfinder.

This fine stone wall and building are located just down the canyon from Winnat's Pass in the Peaks District as you enter the town of Hope in Derbyshire.  This area is such a beautiful region!

Comments