Kanarra Creek Waterfall and Camera Orientation

utah's kanarra creek waterfall landscape photography
Kanarra Creek Waterfall in the Springtime:  lots of water and green trees.
One of the first, if not THE first, decision a photographer must make is how to hold the camera. Horizontal or vertical?  Landscape or portrait?  Up and down or side to side?  With the old cameras, the default was landscape.  With the advent of cell-phone photography, portrait orientation has become much more popular.

In my case, I don't want the easiest or most convenient shot when I have all day to compose a shot.  I want the most aesthetic shot, the one that shows off how amazing my surroundings are.  Sometimes the choice is obvious.  Sometimes it is not.  With Kanarra Creek's 3rd waterfall, the portrait shows more of the lovely red cliffs above.  With landscape orientation, the path of water is shown better as it leaves the pool at the waterfall base.  Both are good so in this case I took 2 shots.

A compromise is a square photo.  For some reason, those have a strange look to me when used in landscapes.
southern utah waterfall at Kanarra creek
Kanarra Creek:  this is the 3rd waterfall on the hike.

Comments