Lewis and Clark Caverns, Montana

Purple Stalagmite Fantasy
My family and I visited the Lewis and Clark Caverns in Montana.  This state park has and adventurous tour through the cold caves that is truly fun for everyone. I highly recommend visiting.

Stalagmite Tower
From a photography standpoint, the darkness adds some complexity to the task of shooting.  In addition, I discovered before arrival that they did not permit tripods inside the cave.  I would have to hold my camera very still.  The more light a lens could allow, the better the image would be.  So, I chose one really sharp and fast and sort-of wide lens to take:  the Canon 35 f/1.4 L.  It's extremely sharp and very fast in low-light situations.  This shot is hand-held with ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/40 second.

The minerals seem to melt all over one another here, creating tiers of stalactites and stalagmite joining in the middle of the cave.  Stalactites come from the ceiling and the stalagmites grow from the ground.  All lighting is artificial here but I think the purple works well. 

Comments