Black Sand Beach (Waianapanapa), Maui

Macro shot of the smooth and highly tangible rocks and pebbles of Waianapanapa State Park (Black Sand Beach), Maui. These lovely rocks make an excellent fine art subject.
 Black Sand Beach (a.k.a. Waianapanapa State Park) is a location that I was hoping to visit. I had seen some very good as well as some very bad photographs from this location. I was not sure what I would find. Getting to Black Sand Beach was much easier than Red Sand Beach because a road goes right to it and there is no hiking in the dark on the side of a cliff required.  I was surprised to discover there was no one at this highly accessible and very beautiful location. I had the entire place to myself for two hours until I decided to leave. One of the most delightful things about the beach is the rocks themselves. They are smooth, black. When they are wet, they reflect the light from the sky. It's really a beautiful sight. Normally reflections are things you want to remove in a photograph with a polarized filter. In this case, they added to the magic and so I chose to photograph them without a polarized filter.  Green vegetation added to the delightful scene.

Black Sand Beach, Maui
Green palm trees and lush vegetation growing out of the volcanic sand of Waianapanapa State Park framed the black sandy beach at sunrise.

Comments